The project aims at experimenting a mixed hydrogen-methane fuelling system on small buses. The vehicle will be tested on complex viability conditions, which are typical of realities with burdensome orographic features as the city of Perugia.
The experimentation action is composed of the following actions:
1. Preparatory Action. Know-how acquisition Area: Identification of the hydrogen limit mixture in the hydrogen-methane fuel and propellers tuning;
2. Implementation Action 1. Energy Area: Analysis and study about the electronic optimization of the stoichiometric carburetion using Engine Control Unit (ECU);
3. Implementation Action 2. Processing Area:Technical and structural adaptation of the vehicle to the hydrogen-methane fuel and tank allocation;
4. Implementation Action 3. Processing Area: Monitoring of the propulsion, electric and exhaust systems through ad hoc microcomputer based equipments with distributed sensors;
5. Implementation Action 4.Processing Area: Comparative efficacy and cost analysis, hydrogen procurement times, hydrogen storage and supply in ordinary activities running.
Additionally to the above mentioned actions, the following horizontal actions will be set up for allowing, facilitating and supporting a smooth project development and the most spread possible knowledge transfer:
1. Management and Coordination Action: Management Area
2. Administrative monitoring Action: Management Area
3. General communication and dissemination Action: Dissemination Area
4. Technical capitalization Action: Valorization Area
The project main output is the preparation and development of a vehicle provided with propulsion, injection system, tank fuels – which is a key requirement for an industrialization process feasibility study. The hydrogen-methane propulsion complex will be supported by the operational feasibility analysis, that will be available for all the urban transport agencies, and thus without wasting resources for ad hoc evaluations and feasibility studies. The project viability has a great potential in terms of industrial, scientific and environmental values.
The project experimentation is implemented in a very sensible sector such as the air quality one, implying the reduction of emissions and thus aiming at achieving the Kyoto protocol objectives: the hydrogen combustion produces zero emissions. The use of hydrogen-fuel in internal combustion engines provides an unlimited availability resource. The possibility of onsite production and of local storage, introduces a completely innovative notion about energy resources saving and planning. Thanks to the profits and benefices in terms of energy saving and CO2 reduction, the H2POWER experimentation is a guiding efficacy and feasible solution for contributing to the achievement of the Kyoto protocol.
Questo articolo è disponibile anche in: Italian